Monday, October 8, 2012

GOAN SNIPPETS













           

GOAN SNIPPETS :TEXT AND PHOTO AUTAR MOTA
BASED ON VISIT  TO GOA IN  2012.


(1)

 “What is your name ? ” I ask .
“ Ariel . That is my sister Ahuva and niece Adina .Our parents are buying Wood carving decorative stuff from that shop . I like skin Tattooing . She likes the henna dying on palms . That makes us to come to this market .We are  from Israel . Beautiful Place Goa. ”

“ Heard of some place called Kashmir ? ” I ask

“Yes Beautiful .Lovely handicrafts .we buy from shopkeepers from kashmiri shopkeepers .We see photo. We not visit . Some Disturbance . The guide say so .”

“ Heaven on earth .  Beautiful like Switzerland ” I add .

I find many tourists from Israel in Goa. They are on beaches . They are in the markets . They drive rented bikes , scooters, Open jeeps . They move in Taxis . They come to Goa with families . Children . Parents. Grand Parents. Groups and Individuals.

((2)
.
“Come sir . Come . Step in for Drink, Dine and dance . Welcome to GOA . .” So said the gate keeper of the Hotel on the road leading to Bagga beach. We were out for the evening stroll.

Loud music . Groups of Young boys from South and North India pouring in and out of the Hotels. Foreign tourists  stroll alongside . They  sit inside roadside cafes , bars and restaurants . Too many of them .Men and women. Gossiping . Smoking . Beer , Rum , Vodka and whiskey flows to the tables .Pedestrians feel tempted to look at these people and the tables.
We move back to our Hotel .I am informed by our Hotel staff that many Hotels now cook Russian delicacies. I find many boards in Russian language inviting tourists for Ayurvedic body massage and yoga classes .
Yes  Russians are also  in Goa. Tourists. They come from many countries that formed erstwhile USSR. Talk to them to know their names. Valery , Victor, Aleksei, Feodar, Marina, Lidiya and Nina etc. etc. They come for sightseeing. Watch Monsoon. Stay in all type of Lodges and Vilas .

(3 )


“ Me from Spain .Needing Kashmiri silk carpet. I need to check the silk quality and Knots ” I say to the kashmiri trader .

“ Ye Haa zunn Kaashur. Gatschuu Ghulaam Nabiyuss Hyo Paantch Shey kaaleen  Pees.”
“He looks like a Kashmiri . Bring five or six carpets from Ghulam Nabi’s shop.” Said the Kashmiri Trader .
“ I am also a kashmiri . I was just playing a joke with you . Where from are you dear ? “ I add .
“ I could make it from your face . But I also thought that faces are deceptive . Many people from Spain or Russia look like kashmiris. We are from Rainawari. I belong to Dhaandh family near Vishwa Bharti college . My name is Manzoor .” the trader clarified.
“ Are you related to Habib Daandh the football player who played for Zindshaah Football club Soorteng Rainawari. You must be also knowing the Shera Halaal meat shop Kraalyaar Rainawari” I add .
“ Jenab Habib sahib is my uncle. Shera meat shop! My God! You are not going without food now. We have cooked Tomato and Cheese . ” added Manzoor .I feel happiness in his eyes . It is visible on his face too.
“Thanks dear. I had my food in the Hotel .  .I am on an official assignment . That is Mr Khurana my friend and colleague. We want to go to Panjim and Miramaar in the morning. Need one Activa scooter on rent . I have my licence with me .This neighbouring shop gives Bikes on rent . Can you please talk to him? ” I clarify .
“ Why Not . ” adds Manzoor .
He gets up and goes to the back side of his shop.
“ Denis Uncle . Customer . Come out . ”
“ Kyaa Honaa Maangtaa hai ? ” an elderly man comes out yelling . Walks with deliberate slow steps making it feel that he has possibly been disturbed . He is in shorts . No undershirt or shirt on his bulging belly. Goa is hot and humid with day temperature going up to 32 degrees centigrade. A lady in knee length printed frock follows him. They look at us . Read our faces .
“ Uncle ! This customer is my brother . My guarantee . This shop guarantee. This all goods guarantee. Give concession . Understand please . ” Adds Manzoor .
Denis and Manzoor converse in Konkani . Manzoor tells us that we need to pay Rs200 as rent for 12 hours for the New Activa . Petrol cost is extra. He guides us to buy 3 litres of Petrol from Denis @80 per litre as Petrol Pumps are far off.. We are also suggested to visit some near by spots and beaches .
Goa has many kashmiri traders . They sell Kashmir Handicrafts . Gems Stones ,Carpets Papier Mache ,Rugs and Wood carving items . A good number of kashmiris are also in Travel and Tourism industry . You can also see them running Lodges and selling Delicious Wazwaan .Some are engaged in trading through their   shops and shacks on beaches . I find boards like MEER ARTS AND CRAFTS , CHAKU TRADERS , PAMPOSH ARTS , MEER LODGE,ORIGINAL ARTS OF KASHMIR , KASHMIRI WAWAAN, DAR ARTS and many more similar name plates in the market. Manzoor informs me that kashmiris are not looked with disdain by locals .
“  Generally Kashmiris do not consume liquor . They do not quarrel with locals  . They sweat it out to earn and remit money back home.” He adds.

( Autar Mota )

8TH OCTOBER  ,2012 ..TIME 11.25 PM  …GOOD NIGHT
                                                                        

Creative Commons LicenseCHINAR SHADE by Autarmota is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at http:\\autarmota.blogspot.com\.