Wednesday, September 30, 2026

MY POEM, " LARGER THAN THE BOULDER "

                          


(Larger Than The Boulder )

In the dead darkness,
they put me under a huge boulder
along with my history books
and  sacred texts.
That is how they punished me
for teaching  them how to 
Tear apart the webs of ignorance 
And stand up .

And in that frightening darkness,
with the boulder's burden on my chest,
I opened my eyes.
I started looking around,
breathing,
digging the earth below,
Mother earth,
indifferent to my pain and sorrow
yet benign.

My exile is feeble.
A small man with a small bag,
carrying a whole valley inside a fading memory.
My feet left,
my shadow stayed back
in the courtyard.

For years I thought,
I am the body that was driven out.
Then I saw,
the body just moved from one street to another.

I thought,
I am the mind that mourns.
Then I saw,
the mind is also a tenant,
it comes and goes.
Today it mourns,
tomorrow it forgets.

So who am I?

I am not the one who was exiled.
I am the one who watched the exile happen.

That is the turn.

There is no reason to this boulder on my chest.
No cause,
no court,
no meaning that will make it fair.
And yet I lie under it and I do not curse.
I breathe.
I exist.
I witness.

That is my revolt,
to remain aware when the world wants me bitter.

In the house they took,
there was a lamp.
They broke the lamp.
But the light?
The light did not break.

I thought the light belonged to the lamp.
Now I know the lamp belonged to the light.

So it is with me.

This body is a lamp,
it can be moved,
it can be exiled,
it can be put under a boulder.
But I am the light,
a light that was never born in a particular place,
so how can it be exiled from a particular place?

The valley,
the mob,
the night of shouting,
the truck,
the tent,
these thirty six years of questioning,
these thirty six years of hearing replies,
unresolved,
complicated,
like waves of a turbulent lake,
rising,
falling,
rising again to fall,
restless this moment,
calm the other moment,
all of it rose and fell inside me.
However, the lake never leaves itself to become a wave.

They thought they buried me under a boulder 
They only buried a form.

I remain,
formless,
unburnt,
unexiled.

The rock is still on me.
And I am still larger than the boulder.

(Avtar Mota)

Hindi Translation 


*चट्टान से भी बड़ा*

घोर अंधेरे में,
उन्होंने मुझे एक विशाल चट्टान के नीचे दबा दिया,
मेरी इतिहास की किताबों के साथ
और मेरे पवित्र ग्रंथों के साथ।
यही सजा थी मेरी -
कि मैंने उन्हें सिखाया था
अज्ञान के जाल कैसे चीरते हैं
और कैसे खड़ा हुआ जाता है।

और उस डरावने अंधेरे में,
छाती पर चट्टान का बोझ लिए,
मैंने आँखें खोल दीं।
मैं देखने लगा,
साँस लेने लगा,
नीचे की मिट्टी को खोदने लगा -
धरती माँ को,
जो मेरे दुख से उदासीन है
फिर भी दयामयी है।

मेरा निर्वासन कितना छोटा है।
एक छोटा आदमी, एक छोटे थैले के साथ,
एक पूरी घाटी को धुंधली याद में लिए हुए।
मेरे पैर चले गए,
मेरी परछाई वहीं रह गई
आँगन में।

सालों तक सोचा,
मैं वह शरीर हूँ जिसे निकाला गया।
फिर देखा,
शरीर तो बस एक गली से दूसरी गली चला गया।

सोचा,
मैं वह मन हूँ जो शोक करता है।
फिर देखा,
मन भी तो किराएदार है,
आता है, जाता है।
आज रोता है,
कल भूल जाता है।

तो मैं कौन हूँ?

मैं वह नहीं हूँ जिसे निर्वासित किया गया।
मैं वह हूँ जिसने निर्वासन को होते देखा।

यही मोड़ है।

मेरी छाती पर इस चट्टान का कोई कारण नहीं।
कोई वजह नहीं,
कोई अदालत नहीं,
कोई अर्थ नहीं जो इसे सही ठहरा सके।
और फिर भी मैं पड़ा हूँ और कोसता नहीं।
मैं साँस लेता हूँ।
मैं हूँ।
मैं साक्षी हूँ।

यही मेरा विद्रोह है -
जब दुनिया चाहती है मैं कड़वा हो जाऊँ,
तब भी होश में बने रहना।

जिस घर को उन्होंने छीन लिया,
वहाँ एक दीया था।
उन्होंने दीया तोड़ दिया।
पर रोशनी?
रोशनी नहीं टूटी।

मैं सोचता था रोशनी दीये की है।
अब जानता हूँ दीया रोशनी का था।

वैसा ही मैं हूँ।

यह शरीर एक दीया है,
इसे हटाया जा सकता है,
निर्वासित किया जा सकता है,
चट्टान के नीचे दबाया जा सकता है।
पर मैं रोशनी हूँ,
एक ऐसी रोशनी जो कभी किसी एक जगह पैदा ही नहीं हुई,
तो उसे किसी एक जगह से निकाला कैसे जा सकता है?

वो घाटी,
वो भीड़,
वो चीखती रात,
वो ट्रक,
वो तंबू,
सवालों के ये छत्तीस साल,
जवाबों के ये छत्तीस साल,
अनसुलझे,
उलझे हुए,
जैसे अशांत झील की लहरें,
उठती, गिरती,
फिर उठती, फिर गिरती,
इस पल बेचैन,
अगले पल शांत,
सब मेरे भीतर उठा और गिरा।
पर झील कभी खुद को छोड़ कर लहर नहीं बनती।

उन्होंने सोचा उन्होंने मुझे चट्टान के नीचे दफना दिया,
उन्होंने तो सिर्फ एक आकार को दफनाया।

मैं बचा हूँ,
निराकार,
अदाह्य,
अनिर्वासित।

चट्टान अब भी मुझ पर है।
और मैं अब भी चट्टान से बड़ा हूँ।

( अवतार मोटा)


Creative Commons License
CHINAR SHADE by Autarmota is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at http:\\autarmota.blogspot.com\.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.