Wednesday, February 13, 2013

SIR DAVID LEAN VISITED KASHMIR IN 1983


                 

SIR  DAVID LEAN (1908-1991)                

In 1983 We saw Sir David Lean in Srinagar looking for locations and shooting sequences for his cinematic adaption of E. M. Forster’s novel ‘’ A PASSAGE TO INDIA ‘’ . Sir David Lean was seen at Fateh kadal , Zaina Kadal and also at various locations in and around Srinagar city .We also saw an advertisement appearing in Srinagar Times, a leading Urdu daily published from Srinagar, requesting residents in the down town area of the city to pull down their rooftop TV antennas so as to give the old city a 1920 look needed for shooting some sequences .Almost every one obliged .Sir David Lean  visited some localities saying ,

“ Salaam ! Namastay ! Can you bring down that TV antenna for some days to enable me to shoot some sequences for a movie?”

He was seen shooting on Srinagar Baramulla Road or inside Nagin and Dal lake with Victor Banerjee .
Yes I mean Sir David Lean CBE ( 1908-1991 ) film director , script writer , producer who is still remembered for his classics like Lawrence of Arbia ,The bridge on River kwai and Dr Zhivago .
We also saw him shooting with his wife Sandy who plays the role of Stella , Actor Alec Guinness who played the role of Prof Godbole , james Fox who played the role of Mr Fielding and Victor Banerjee who played the role of Dr Aziz in the movie. The houseboat sequences with Dr Aziz and Mr Fielding were shot in Dal lake . Victor Banerjee could be seen in Churidaar Pyjaama and a Sherwani . An old vintage car was also brought into the shooting sequences.
The movie had some other actors like Peggy Ashcroft, Judy Davis , Roshan Seth , Saeed jaffery and Art Malik .The movie was produced by John Brabourne whose father had been a viceroy in India (who also happened to be son in law of Lord Mountbatten ). The movie was distributed by Columbia Pictures and was finally released in 1984. It received 11 Nominations for Academy awards including Best picture , Best director for David Lean and Best actress for Judy Davis as Adela .
I was also informed by a friend in the Tourism Department that he had personally seen another Giant writer director from Hollywood namely John Byrum ( Born 1947 ) shooting sequences for his movie “ The Razor’s Edge “ in Srinagar at that point of time in 1983. In fact David Lean and john Byrum actually had a chance meeting in the dining room of the then Hotel Oberoi Palace in Srinagar . So much was Byrum happy to see David Lean that he called this chance something as “ Meeting God or Lord SHIVA in Kashmir .”

While replying to Mark Tully’s ( His interviewer for a BBC Program ) question “ How much difference is there between Lean's 'Passage To India' and Forster's 'Passage To India'? ” sir David Lean has clarified as under:-
“ He's a writer, I'm a film maker. I like movies, and I've tried to make a movie that I would like to see. The end is different, certainly, but I think I wouldn't be ashamed for Forster to read the script. I think I stuck with his characters, and on the whole, given the limitations of time, I mean what's one doing? One's doing something in 2 hours, a book that thick, its a sort of sketch of it, and I'm extracting a movie from it. Those who want to read Forster, read the book. Those who want to go to a movie, and don't read, come and see our film.”

Speaking to “The Guardian” correspondent actor Omar Sharif fondly remembers David Lean. Actually it was David Lean only who introduced Omar Sharif as actor in Lawrence of Arbia. Adds Omar sharif;

Question ... “What do you think sets him apart from other directors you worked with?”

Answer  “David Lean was a great, great man. Great man .I'll tell you that. He was interested in the film itself. His work was about making the film. He took actors – he didn't like them or love them or anything, he just thought: "This one will do for this part." When he took me from Egypt, he didn't know me. He just said: "I want an Arab person to play this Laurence of Arabia thing. I want a real Arab who speaks English." All this happened because I had been to an English school in Cairo , so he called me and I went to the desert and he loved me. He actually liked me very much. I was one of the only actors he actually liked, in all his life. ”

( Autar Mota )
13th February 2013. Time 11.40 PM.. Good Night                                                       
Creative Commons LicenseCHINAR SHADE by Autarmota is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at http:\\autarmota.blogspot.com\.

No comments:

Post a Comment