Saturday, March 7, 2015

JASMINE FLOWERS AND A KASHMIRI FOLK SONG THAT BROUGHT TEARS IN ALL EYES .


                                                               



 " I NURSED ALL THESE JASMINE PLANTS BEFORE I LEFT THE GARDEN .."

To the above photograph  , i am adding lines from a popular folk song from kashmir with simple English rendering done by me  for friends who do not understand kashmiri .
This is not my photograph  But my due  thanks to the photographer who clicked it..I received it from a friend and i have no knowledge about its  actual source . Here goes the folk song ........
  



“ Hiye mey Gwod deu”t Baag neirvuniye
Sheyyi Ryei’t draayus bazaar kunaye.
Samkhaan ta samkhyo'm Bub Panuniye ,
Kharaan ta khaar’nus ku’th panuniye,
Rang Kuthi kornum Prang vathharuniye,
Zoori Pyaath thhov’numm sha’maa dazaavuniye,
Brontha –kanni Beuthuum *Poathhii/ *Quraan Parravuniye,
Zoar Zoar Heutmuss seer Baavuniye,
Loe’ti loe’ti Heutmuss oush Traavuniye ,
Dopnumm koori yi chhu tchaaluniye ,
Vaariev garaa chhuyii tche Dhyaen Bharooniye,
Maalien garrie chhunaa kenh laaruniye,
Baaey Maaleun guvv Bael Maaleuniye,
Gatchhi Gatchhi koori Garra panuniye”................
( A kashmiri folk Song )

“ Nursing those jasmine plants ,
I came out of that garden.
And today after six months ,
I move out of my house towards the market.
Lo ! Among others , I also met my farther ,
How affectionately he drags me to my parental home,
Here he takes me inside that decorated room
And makes me sit comfortably .
There he lights the candle on the lamp stand 
And sits before me Reading from the scriptures / Quraan 
Loudly I start narrating my woes ,
Softly do the tears trickle down my eyes .
And he keeps consoling me to endure all this ?
And then he keeps telling me 
“ You have to spend your days at your inlaw's house.
What shall you get in your parental home?
Worthless turns the parental home 
When your brother heads it ,
Proceed back to your inlaw’s house my darling child ” …

This was the most popular and emotional folk song that was sung by kashmiris . I have heard it from Muslim women/ girls performing Roff dance in slow but measured steps. I have heard it from kashmiri Pandit women and Girls in Mehndiraat sung on fast Hikkat dance . I have heard it being sung on Tumbaknaari beats in Mehndi raat functions of Pandits and Muslims . *Instead of *Quraan in the seventh line above ,pundits would use word *Poethh ( Scriptures ) .Muslims used the word Quraan .That was the only difference . A shared cultural legacy of kashmiris. Women wept while singing it . It touched the listeners as well. The words echoed the pain and pathos of a married girl who was desperately seeking some support system that did not exist in kashmiri society . From all quarters she was made to believe in one line .
“ You Have to bear it “
A reconciliation .A compromise at self peril . A small leap to freedom ended in a hasty retreat to her inlaw’s house .
( Autar Mota )


Creative Commons LicenseCHINAR SHADE by Autarmota is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at http:\\autarmota.blogspot.com\.

No comments:

Post a Comment