Saturday, July 17, 2010

MATERIAL RECEIVED FROM DAVID BARTON GRANDSON OF REV. CECIL BARTON MISSIONARY IN KASHMIR TILL 1904 AD


All Saints' Church, Srinagar, and Cecil Barton






Reply

Dave Barton

 to me
 9:59 PM (1 hour ago) 

Dear Sir,


I'm sorry to trouble you, but I found your blog posthttp://autarmota.blogspot.com/2009/10/churches-in-srinagar-city.html and it interests me because my great grandfather Rev. Cecil Barton was a missionary in Srinagar until about 1904, based at All Saints Church (see the attached images). He was also a friend and climbing companion of Ernest & Arthur Neve, who you mention in the blog above.
I have quite a few of his beautiful old photographs of Srinagar, including one of Saint Luke's (in its prime). I'm in the process of scanning them all into jpgs and I'd be happy to share them if you're interested. For my part I would love to find out if Cecil's old house still exists and where it is/was (it's shown in the third picture attached; it was just behind All Saints apparently, though I don’t know if the old All Saints was on the site of the new).
Best wishes,

David Barton


Creative Commons License



















( I AM THANKFUL TO DAVID BARTON FOR THIS FAVOUR.)

CHINAR SHADE by Autarmota is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at http:\\autarmota.blogspot.com\.